CARAMELISED LEEK AND ONION TART
Written By Danielle Minnebo
PREP TIME: 30
COOK TIME: 95
For the crust:
- 200g almond meal
- 150g Organic Road Coconut Flour
- 30g organic pecorino cheese, finely grated
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 100g organic butter at room temperature, cut into small cubes
- 2 organic, free-range eggs
- Knob of butter
For the filling:
- Knob of butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 leeks, finely sliced
- 2 white onions, finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 eggs
- 20g organic pecorino cheese, grated
- Salad or steamed greens, to serve.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond meal, Organic Road Coconut Flour, and pecorino cheese. Season with pepper and a pinch of salt (go easy on the salt because pecorino cheese has a salty flavor). Rub in olive oil and butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs and no lumps of butter remain.
- Make a well in the center, then add eggs, mixing to combine. The dough that forms isn’t the kind you roll out; it will still fall apart slightly. When you press the dough together it should hold its shape. If the mixture is too dry, add a splash of water until it comes together better.
- Grease a round tart tin with butter. Crumble pastry mixture evenly across the base of the tray, then press mixture into the base and up around the sides of the tin, making sure thickness is even. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden. If edges are golden, but the base isn’t, lightly cover with aluminum foil and bake for 5 more minutes. This way the base will cook without the edges darkening.
- Meanwhile, to make tart filling, heat a large frying pan over low heat and add butter and olive oil. Once butter has melted add leeks, onions, garlic and thyme, then season with salt and pepper. Cook for 25 minutes or until leeks and onions start to caramelise. Remove pan from heat and transfer leek mixture to a large bowl. Add eggs, mixing well to combine, then pour mixture into baked pastry case. Top with pecorino, then bake the tart for 30 minutes or until top is golden and egg mixture has set. If you like, place it under the grill for 30 seconds to help give it a golden brown color.
- Serve this tart with a fresh salad or some steamed greens.